Multi-metal company Terrafame engaged JordProxa to deliver the crystallisation technology for a new plant to produce battery chemicals for the manufacture of electric vehicle batteries. The contract included the design and supply of modular crystallisation plants as well as commissioning and training services.
JordProxa designed and supplied three crystallisation plants for the site, producing battery grade nickel sulphate and cobalt sulphate, as well as a by-product ammonium sulphate used as fertiliser. The plant has a capacity of 170,000 tpa of nickel sulphate and 7,400 tpa of cobalt sulphate, which is enough to produce around 1.3 million electric vehicle batteries per year.
The plant was designed for very low ambient temperatures (below -40 degrees celsius). The nickel and ammonium sulphate crystallisers are draft-tube baffle type. Both crystallisers are large, with the nickel sulphate crystalliser vessel approaching ten metres in diameter. As such they were too large to ship in one piece and had to be transported in segments to the remote site, where final fabrication took place. The balance of plant was delivered in modular form, allowing fast installation on site.
The crystalliser systems have now been delivered and the plant has been commissioned. Production is underway.
- Battery chemicals for the manufacture of electric vehicle batteries
- Design and supply three crystallisation plants, producing battery grade nickel sulphate and cobalt sulphate, as well as a by-product ammonium sulphate
- Modular delivery
- MVR for energy efficiency
- -40 degree C design temperature
- Plant designed to be installed inside a building